Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Detroit, Michigan: Rejuvenation in at the Westin



I love it when what was old is new again. Such is the case with Detroit’s Book-Cadillac Hotel. When the Book-Cadillac opened its doors in 1924 it was the tallest building in the world. Amazing!

Just as amazing is the new restoration of the historic Westin Book Cadillac Hotel. On October 7, 2008, the Detroit landmark once again reclaimed its position as Detroit’s premier lodging and social gathering destination. Located in the up and coming Book District, the Italian Renaissance-style hotel is a member of the National Registry of Historic Buildings. Images of what the building looked like in 1924 and the unbelievable deterioration in the 1990s gave me a deep appreciation for the beautiful new Westin Book Cadillac, thankful that another historic building was saved for people to appreciate and enjoy.


From the Book-Cadillac Hotel I explored some of the other gems in the downtown area of Detroit with Inside Detroit Tours. Interestingly the streets of Detroit were configured like the spokes of a wheel long before automobiles were conceived. From Campus Martius with its Soldiers’ and Sailor’s Monument next to an area that serves as a venue for concerts in the summer and offers ice skating in the winter I continued on to the Guardian Building. Built during the Roarin’ Twenties, the Guardian Building is a National Historic Landmark with an interior boldly decorated with mosaic tiles created by Detroit’s own Pewabic Pottery.

On return to the Book-Cadillac I paused to look at the exterior of the building and marveled at the statues of the Four Guardians above the Michigan Street entrance. On the way to my room I wandered through the beautiful Italian Garden Room. I was alone and tried to envision the days when the hotel hosted Spencer Tracey, Kathryn Hepburn, and presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon.

After a quick change I was off to the hotel’s Jacuzzi where I relaxed, closed my eyes, and tried to conjure up visions of an earlier time when the music played and the champagne flowed. From there I headed to the hotel’s Spa 19 for a relaxing foot therapy where the music played softly and I sipped a glass of champagne. Not quite the same but enjoyable.Refreshed and rejuvenated I was ready for a night at Comerica Park rooting for the Detroit Tigers.

For more information check http://www.bookcadillacwestin.com/ and www.insidedetroit.org. Jacuzzi and Italian Garden Room courtesy of the Westin.

No comments:

Post a Comment